Monday, May 10, 2010

DIY Indoor Airbrushing Station

I live in the frigid northeastern US where the weather doesn't always cooperate with my priming and airbrushing schedule. I put together this airbrushing station this winter so that I could work indoors.



I have been airbrushing, priming and even using the dremel at this station all winter. It's basically a cardboard box with a furnace filter and shop vac. The vacuum pulls stray paint particles through the furnace filter so they aren't deposited all over your work area. It doesn't do anything for paint fumes though so prime indoors at your own risk and make sure you have plenty of ventilation.

I had some Forgeworld stuff to assemble this winter and used this station to dremel the parts with a rotary sandpaper bit. The vacuum sucked up most of the resin dust so that it was much easier to clean up afterwards.

Here's how I put this one together:

Materials:
16"x16"x16" cardboard box
16"x20" furnace filter - I got these in a pack of four for under $10.
Shop Vac - Also useful around the house and in the workshop.
Tape

I cut the side out of the box and then assembled it like so:



Notice how the box flaps are oriented. I did this so that I could swap out the furnace filters as they get clogged and need to be replaced. The furnace filter I use is a little larger than the box so it fits in at a bit of a slant. I haven't noticed any issues with this though. I angled it into the box so that I have the most room at the bottom of my work space.



Then at the back of the box, behind the filter, I cut a hole for the shop vac hose to fit.



That's it! Just remember to turn on the shop vac before you spray and always wear a respirator mask. Just because you're using acrylic paint doesn't mean that it's okay to breath it in.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing mate, I think with how the weathers going, I might have to build one of these myself.

    ReplyDelete